Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The healing power of books


Getting into reading habit is one of the significant developments in my life.  I think I started sometime around when I was in 6th standard reading Telugu newspapers and my all time favorite newspaper ‘The Hindu’.  Around the same time, I started my first magazine reading with a telugu magazine ‘Wonder world’ and later on moved to ‘Competitors Success Review - CSR’ and continued with it for almost a decade.  I am proud to say I have till date all the magazines of CSR.  Then I went on to compare news in Telugu and English newspapers as well as from different local newspaper.  Then I started with India Today, The Week and Outlook.  But above all, it was the ‘Frontline’ magazine for which I waited eagerly.  Till date, Frontline and Hindu newspapers are my benchmarks in regard to writing and presenting a topic.
After when I first stuck with my failure, I got my hands on these Self Help books and with them I also started reading Autobiographies and historical books.  On the same path of reading, I started my journey into spiritual books with Ramakrishna Math books which were at affordable prices for me at that time.  Another great thing which happens to me was the discovery of State owned libraries which contains tons and tons of good books.  I almost spent my Engineering days in the local library and read any and all books on which I can lay my hands.  As these books were costly and I couldn’t offer them at that time, I use to go to library (as they didn’t allow Non-locals to borrow the books) and spend the whole day. 
Second hand books purchased on Sundays in Abids, Hyderabad, is from where I started my own library which old and new books.  I am proud to say I have a collection of almost 2000 books ranging from spirituality, history, autobiographies, self help and technical books.
Books have more influence on me.  I also depend on books for emotional support as they are my stress busters.   It takes me 60-70 pages per hour and almost 4 to 5 hours to complete a book depending on the size of the book.  I normally underline or take notes during reading and will summarize the whole book as per my understanding.  When I feel bored, I pick up two or three books and travel to some nearby places and make a point to return after completely reading those books.
I like serious books.  I hate reading novels, coffee table books and classic English literature.
I have a big list of books to read and very happy to have this habit of reading.
Happy Reading….
Tirumalanath

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. Really books have helped me to get life difficulties. They are my companion during my dark days. Wishing a happy reading.